Rivers State University of Science and Technology, RSUST is seeking an outstanding candidate to fill the position of Vice-Chancellor.
The post of the Vice-Chancellor of the Rivers State University of Science and Technology is vacant. The Governing Council, in the performance of its statutory duties as provided in the University’s Enabling Law, hereby invites interested distinguished Academics with vast experience in University administration and management to apply for the post. Interested candidates are kindly requested to note the following information about the University:
About the Rivers State University of Science and Technology.
The University is located at Nkpolu-Oroworukwo in Port Harcourt Local Government Area of Rivers State.
The institution is the first University of Science and Technology established in Nigeria in 1980. Its establishment was the culmination of a long and sustained demand for a technological institute in Port Harcourt prior to and following the Report of the Ashby Commission on higher education in Nigeria in 1960.
The Vision: To be a world class and uncommon University that will be structurally and philosophically oriented to solve the practical and peculiar challenging problems of the region.
The Mission: The University seeks to offer men and women a unique educational opportunity and experience for the pursuit of learning in the relevant branches of knowledge. To this end, the institution seeks to:
- Encourage and promote excellence in original, creative and scholarly research (basic and applied), in fostering a learning process with problem solving content;
- Support and sustain the expansion of the frontiers of human knowledge in various disciplines, responding especially to the contemporary scientific and technical demands and challenges of the society and
- Improve the appreciation and development of the region’s abundant physical, natural and social resources, as well as advancement of her rich cultural heritage through an approach and strategy anchored on excellence and
Responsibilities of Rivers State University of Science and Technology VC.
“The Vice-Chancellor shall in accordance with Section 9(2) of the law establishing the University have the general function in addition to other functions conferred on him by the law or otherwise of directing the activities of the University, and shall, to the exclusion of any other person or authority, be the Chief Executive and Academic Officer of the University and Chairman of the Senate”.
Rivers State University of Science and Technology VC Qualifications and Requirements.
The candidate for the post of the Vice-Chancellor is required to possess a good University education and should be a proven, experienced and successful manager of human and material resources.
Specifically, the candidate shall be expected to:
- Be a person of impeccable character, who is honest and against whom no serious allegation of fraud or dishonesty has been made; who is impartial, objective, firm, resourceful, dynamic, innovative and free from ethnic and group interests, and should possess a robust health and demonstrate good public relations;
- Be a Professor of at least 7 years post-professorial experience in a reputable University inside or outside Nigeria;
- Possess considerable managerial experience in University administration and should be a
- Be not more than 65 years at the time of
- Be able to sustain good harmonious working relationship between the administration, staff and students on one hand and between the University and the host communities on the other
- Be a person with good grasp of Information and Communication Technology (ICT)
RSUST Vice Chancellor – Conditions of Service.
Remuneration and other conditions of service are as applicable to the post of Vice-Chancellor in Nigerian Universities, and as may be determined from time to time by the Governing Council.
How to Apply as Rivers State University of Science and Technology VC.
Interested candidates who meet the above conditions should submit their applications, twenty (20) copies, accompanied by twenty (20) copies of the candidate’s detailed curriculum vitae duly signed and dated. The curriculum vitae must include the candidate’s name in full, place and date of birth, marital status, number and ages of children, nationality, academic qualifications, teaching, research, administrative and managerial experiences, academic distinction, membership of academic and professional bodies, scholarly publications, names and addresses of three (3) referees and other relevant information.
Candidate should submit a statement of his/her vision for the University for the next seven years (20 copies).
All candidates must have three (3) referees who are to forward references on them directly to the Registrar and Secretary to Council. Such referees should be able to attest to the candidate’s claim to higher academic and managerial capabilities as well as their moral uprightness.
In addition, candidates are requested to submit a Report of Medical fitness from a Government Hospital and Birth Certificate or Age Declaration.
All short-listed candidates will be required to make themselves available for interaction on a later date with the Joint Council/Senate Selection Committee.
Applications are to be submitted under confidential cover in envelopes marked at the upper left hand corner “Post of Vice-Chancellor, RSUST”, to reach the Registrar and Secretary to Council, Rivers State University of Science and Technology, P.M.B. 5080, Port Harcourt, Nigeria, not later than Friday, 20th May, 2018.